Mr. or Ms. Clean Wanted
Ocean Island Inn seeking part time and full time housekeepers.
The most fun you can have cleaning a hotel!
“Ocean Island is more than a hostel, it’s an experience – an experience akin to being kidnapped by 100 of your closest friends…” – Lonely Planet 8th Edition
- Working with our team of groovy international and local housekeepers.
- Maintaining Ocean Island Inn’s high standard of cleanliness throughout our facility.
- Helping to provide a clean, friendly and inviting environment for our global travelers to relax and feel at home in.
- Room to grow: opportunity to take on more responsibilities in the housekeeping department as well as to train and gain experience in other departments.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- Enjoy cleaning and working in a fast paced environment.
- Housekeeping experience in a hotel or other accommodation business helpful but not essential.
- Positive attitude.
- Energetic, with an eye for detail.
The Fine Print:
- Compensation starts at $10.25/hr. Opportunities for increases with additional responsibilities or other positions.
- Enjoy a complimentary alcoholic or non alcoholic beverage and some live music after your shift at our cafe lounge!
- Practice your foreign language skills with our international guests and coworkers.
- Hospitality industry discounts, and freebies in Victoria and the region and at traveler accommodation in North America.
- The shifts are typically 9am-5:30pm, but can also be earlier or later in the day.
- We have part time and full time positions available.
- We are flexible with time off, so you can travel or whatnot.
- Our staff grows with us and there are always opportunities to advance.
Email your resume (with the name of the position) to email@example.com. Or stop by to check us out and drop off your resume in person- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.
Are you looking to do some casual work part time while you’re visiting Victoria to cover the costs of your stay and make some spending money? No matter where you’re coming from, you can work at Ocean Island: all you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and be able to speak basic English.
We have room for casual workers year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, doing laundry, etc);
- Painting and other minor maintenance work;
- Gardening (seasonal);
- Translation, and Internet research;
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
The amount of work you do depends on the type of job you’re doing. Jobs vary from 20 to 35 hours per week, depending on the type of work, how much you want to work and how long you are staying. Our most typical position is 20 hours of housekeeping a week. Casual work can also lead to permanent positions in front desk, the kitchen, bar, etc.
Here’s what you get in exchange:
- A special discounted staff rate on accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed), or possibly a private room (in the winter, depending on what type of work you’re doing and the length of your stay).
- Money- wonderful stuff that can buy things.
- 25% staff discount on meals at our cafe and our other products, like flip flops.
- A fun work environment living and working with cool cats from around the world.
If you are interested in casual work at Ocean Island, contact us for more information. Or if you’re already in Victoria, stop by to check us out in person- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.