Ocean Island Inn seeking a Housekeeping Supervisor/ Head Housekeeper
- The position involves supervising housekeepers during the busy summer months, and both supervision and housekeeping tasks over the winter.
- Training and supervising our delightfully rag-tag band of international volunteer housekeepers.
- Maintaining Ocean Island Inn’s high standard of cleanliness throughout our facility.
- Providing a clean, friendly and inviting environment for our global travelers to relax and feel at home in.
- Liaising with the office, front desk and maintenance departments.
- The position may also include driving our van around the city to pick up supplies sometimes.
- Room to grow: opportunity to take on more responsibilities in the housekeeping department as well as to train and gain experience in other departments.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- Housekeeping experience in a hotel or other accommodation business.
- A friendly but firm approach to supervising and working with people.
- Positive attitude, excellent communicator and good motivator.
- Energetic, with an eye for detail.
- Skills in planning, organization and effective time management.
- Must have initiative, the ability to work independently and to be calm in a busy environment.
- Comfortable working with computers
- A driver’s license.
The Fine Print:
- Compensation starts at $12/hr. Opportunities for increases as you gain experience and take on more responsibility. It can also include benefits such as a medical plan and extended paid time off for longer term staff.
- Hospitality industry discounts, and freebies in Victoria and the region and at traveler accommodation in North America.
- The shifts are typically 9am-5:30pm.
- The position is full time.
- We are flexible with time off, so you can do travelling of your own or whatnot.
- Our staff grow with us and there are always opportunities to advance.
Are you looking to do some casual work part time while you’re visiting Victoria to cover the costs of your stay and make some spending money? No matter where you’re coming from, you can work at Ocean Island: all you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and be able to speak basic English.
We have room for casual workers year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, doing laundry, etc);
- Painting and other minor maintenance work;
- Gardening (seasonal);
- Translation, and Internet research;
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
The amount of work you do depends on the type of job you’re doing. Jobs vary from 20 to 35 hours per week, depending on the type of work, how much you want to work and how long you are staying. Our most typical position is 20 hours of housekeeping a week. Casual work can also lead to permanent positions in front desk, the kitchen, bar, etc.
Here’s what you get in exchange:
- A special discounted staff rate on accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed), or possibly a private room (in the winter, depending on what type of work you’re doing and the length of your stay).
- Money- wonderful stuff that can buy things.
- 25% staff discount on meals at our cafe and our other products, like flip flops.
- A fun work environment living and working with cool cats from around the world.
If you are interested in casual work at Ocean Island, contact us for more information. Or if you’re already in Victoria, stop by to check us out in person- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.