Ocean Island Cafe Lounge is seeking a cook to serve up tasty meals to our global travelers and locals.
- As the only full time cook at our cozy backpackers’ lounge/ live music venue, you work independently and run your own show in our little kitchen.
- Ocean Island Cafe Lounge is inside Ocean Island Inn, and caters to travellers and locals with live music and events
- Cooking, prep, sandwich making, assembling meals and any other work required to keep the kitchen running smoothly.
- Involvement in ordering, pricing and menu planning. Plenty of opportunities to learn and take on kitchen management responsibilities.
- Maintaining a safe, clean and organised kitchen.
- Helping the bartender on busy nights.
Qualities and qualifications:
- Passion for food.
- Some commercial cooking experience required.
- Experience in a busy fast paced kitchen.
- Enjoy working independently with minimal supervision and taking responsibility.
- Food safe.
- The position is 40 hours a week, ongoing.
- Shifts are 3:15pm to 11:15pm (with one weekly prep shift during the day)
- Wages and benefits are competitive – tips are split 50/50 between the bartender and cook and hospitality discounts and freebies in Victoria and the region are available.
- Extended flexible holidays and time off.
- Fun, casual and fast-paced international environment.
If you’re interested, please stop by to check us out – we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue and the lounge is open from 5pm to 11pm Monday to Saturday. You can drop off your resume and cover letter at the front desk or email us at email@example.com. We look forward to meeting you!
Are you looking to do some casual work part time while you’re visiting Victoria to cover the costs of your stay and make some spending money? No matter where you’re coming from, you can work at Ocean Island: all you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and be able to speak basic English.
We have room for casual workers year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, doing laundry, etc);
- Painting and other minor maintenance work;
- Gardening (seasonal);
- Translation, and Internet research;
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
The amount of work you do depends on the type of job you’re doing. Jobs vary from 20 to 35 hours per week, depending on the type of work, how much you want to work and how long you are staying. Our most typical position is 20 hours of housekeeping a week. Casual work can also lead to permanent positions in front desk, the kitchen, bar, etc.
Here’s what you get in exchange:
- A special discounted staff rate on accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed), or possibly a private room (in the winter, depending on what type of work you’re doing and the length of your stay).
- Money- wonderful stuff that can buy things.
- 25% staff discount on meals at our cafe and our other products, like flip flops.
- A fun work environment living and working with cool cats from around the world.
If you are interested in casual work at Ocean Island, contact us for more information. Or if you’re already in Victoria, stop by to check us out in person- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.