Ocean Island Inn | Backpackers | Suites in Victoria, BC seeks an Operations Manager to help us continue to operate effectively, efficiently, and fabulously!
Since 1999 we’ve been a unique independent hostel, inn and lounge/ live music venue dedicated to creating an amazing accommodation and travel experience accessible to everyone. With innovation, drive and attention to detail, we deliver the magic combination of an excellent travel experience and low prices. We are also dedicated to creating a stimulating work environment, where people can learn, be challenged and have fun.
“Full of life and art … both the young and the young at heart will feel right at home”. – Lonely Planet British Columbia.
“Impeccably managed by a thought-of-everything owner… clean and cheerful; loads of services; a great place to meet other travelers.” – Fodor’s Vancouver & Victoria.
- As the Operations Manager, you ensure that our guest experience is consistently excellent and at the center of what we do.
- Ensuring that our operations are as efficient and effective as possible, driving quality improvements and cost savings.
- Driving awareness and execution in all areas of our operations: front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, bar, restaurant and retail.
- Overseeing all aspects of the operational strategies to meet and exceed company expectations and maximize sales and profitability.
- Ensuring standards are consistently being met by supervising, maintaining and following company policies and procedures.
- Communicating effectively with owners, management team, staff and guests.
- Being involved in setting and achieving goals for each area.
- Helping to drive improvements to our policies and procedures.
- Effective hiring, training, supervision and motivation of staff.
- Being hands on and engaged in the daily details of all areas, including sometimes working in front line positions.
- Coaching staff while working shoulder-to-shoulder with them to meet organizational standards.
- Performing some administrative tasks.
Qualities, skills and experience:
- You love being part of a vibrant international team; you bring your energy to work every day and are personally invested in the success of Ocean Island Inn.
- You demonstrate the following: time management, organizational skills, authentic customer service, sales generation, leadership, ability to provide feedback, follow through, conflict management, business acumen, planning, priority setting, decision quality, ability to coach, excellent verbal and written communication, and computer proficiency.
- Having a keen eye for detail, yet also being able to see the ‘big picture’.
- Ability to think creatively, embrace and lead change, be flexible, and work in dynamic situations.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including early morning, evening and weekend shifts.
- Enjoy working with a mix of multicultural guests and staff
- Having a sense of humour!
Experience and qualifications:
- Supervisory/management experience in the hospitality industry essential.
- Familiarity with budget travel, including backpacking and hostels.
- Relevant post-secondary education an asset, but not necessarily required.
What we offer:
- A rewarding position encompassing a variety of tasks and challenges along with opportunities to learn new skills, gain experience and benefit from professional growth.
- An engaging, dynamic and casual environment in a beautiful location where guests and staff from all over the world converge.
- A competitive salary and benefit package based on experience, performance and preferences. This includes a medical plan and may also include bonuses, extended paid vacations and other benefits.
- Opportunities to advance within the organization.
- Flexibility and time off to travel etc. and to achieve that elusive work/ life balance.
If this position sounds like a good fit, please email your resume and cover letter to jobs[a]oceanisland.com. If you are in Victoria, you can stop by to check us out and drop off your resume and cover letter.
Are you looking to do some casual work part time while you’re visiting Victoria to cover the costs of your stay and make some spending money? No matter where you’re coming from, you can work at Ocean Island: all you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and be able to speak basic English.
We have room for casual workers year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, doing laundry, etc);
- Painting and other minor maintenance work;
- Gardening (seasonal);
- Translation, and Internet research;
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
The amount of work you do depends on the type of job you’re doing. Jobs vary from 20 to 35 hours per week, depending on the type of work, how much you want to work and how long you are staying. Our most typical position is 20 hours of housekeeping a week. Casual work can also lead to permanent positions in front desk, the kitchen, bar, etc.
Here’s what you get in exchange:
- A special discounted staff rate on accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed), or possibly a private room (in the winter, depending on what type of work you’re doing and the length of your stay).
- Money- wonderful stuff that can buy things.
- 25% staff discount on meals at our cafe and our other products, like flip flops.
- A fun work environment living and working with cool cats from around the world.
If you are interested in casual work at Ocean Island, contact us for more information. Or if you’re already in Victoria, stop by to check us out in person- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.