Do you want to save money on accommodation, food and drinks? Do casual work at Ocean Island! No matter where you’re coming from, you can work at Ocean Island: all you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and you must be able to speak minimal English or German.
We have room for casual workers year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
- Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, doing laundry, etc);
- Minor maintenance work, like painting;
- Translation, or other things: if you have special skills or speak many languages, let us know;
- Help in our organic garden and vegetable beds (seasonal);
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
The amount of work you do depends on the type of job you’re doing. Some jobs may be 3.5 hours per day, others might be 40 hours a week: it depends how much time you have and how much money you want to save. An average worker spends most of their time in housekeeping, and works about 6 hours a day, 5 days a week.
Here’s what you get in exchange (at special discounted prices):
- Free accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed), or possibly a private room (in the winter, depending on what type of work you’re doing and the length of your stay);
- Credit towards food and drinks, internet time, laundry, etc;
- If you only want to work for your room, that’s cool too. Just let us know when you sign up. If you want to work more, we can find stuff for you to do.
- For painting, construction and some other kinds of skilled work, we may be able to offer you more (private room in winter, cash, etc);
If you would like to Work For Stay at Ocean Island, contact us for more information. Or stop by to check us out and drop off your resume in person- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.